20 Weirdest Laws In Michigan
Michigan is a state with a rich history and culture, but like any other place, it has its fair share of unusual laws that may leave you scratching your head. From the outdated to the downright bizarre, here are 20 weird laws that are still on the books in Michigan.
- In Michigan, it is illegal to kill a dog using a decompression chamber.
- It is against the law to swear in front of women and children in the city of Harper Woods.
- In Clawson, it is illegal to sleep in a bathtub.
- It is illegal to serenade your girlfriend in Kalamazoo without a permit.
- In Wayland, anyone can keep a skunk as a pet, but they must have a license to do so.
- In Rochester, it is illegal to play croquet in the streets.
- In Michigan, it is illegal to chain an alligator to a fire hydrant.
- In Sault Ste. Marie, it is illegal to spit on the sidewalk.
- It is against the law to paint sparrows to sell them as canaries in Detroit.
- In Grand Haven, it is illegal to run through the streets with a spear.
- In Clawson, it is illegal to ride a bicycle without both hands on the handlebars.
- In Rochester, it is illegal to herd pigs through downtown streets after 6 PM on Sundays.
- It is illegal to tie an alligator to a fire hydrant in Detroit.
- In Michigan, it is illegal for a woman to cut her own hair without her husband’s permission.
- In Negaunee, it is illegal to spit on the floor of a church.
- In Wayland, it is illegal to catch a fish using your bare hands.
- In Detroit, it is illegal to sleep in a bathtub.
- It is against the law to swear in front of dead people in the city of Clio.
- In Clawson, it is illegal to bathe without a doctor’s prescription.
- In Michigan, it is illegal to paint a sparrow and then sell it as a parakeet.
These laws may seem strange and outdated, but they still exist in Michigan’s legal code. While many of them are rarely enforced, it is always important to be aware of the laws in your state. So, if you’re planning on serenading your girlfriend in Kalamazoo or catching fish with your bare hands in Wayland, make sure you have the appropriate permits and permissions to do so!