Wasilla, Alaska is a small city located in the heart of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough. Despite its small size, Wasilla offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors and residents to enjoy. From its beautiful landscapes to its thriving food scene, there is always something to do in Wasilla. Here are 18 things to do in this fascinating city.
- Explore the Knik River: The Knik River is a popular destination for fishing and boating, offering breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
- Visit the Knik Glacier: The Knik Glacier is one of the largest glaciers in Alaska and a must-see attraction for any visitor to Wasilla.
- Hike the Palmer Pioneer Ridge: This scenic trail offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscape, making it a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Attend the Alaska State Fair: The Alaska State Fair is held every year in August and features a variety of events and attractions, including food, music, and entertainment.
- Watch the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race: The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race is one of the most famous dog sled races in the world, and a must-see event for anyone visiting Wasilla.
- Raft or kayak the Susitna River: The Susitna River is a popular destination for rafting and kayaking, offering stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Visit the Palmer Museum of History and Art: This museum features exhibits on the history of the area, including the lives of early settlers and the local culture.
- Explore the arts scene: Wasilla is a hub for the arts, with several local theaters, art galleries, and music venues.
- Try the local cuisine: Wasilla is known for its thriving food scene, with a wide range of dining options, from local seafood to international cuisine.
- Visit the local breweries: Wasilla is home to several local breweries, offering a range of craft beers for visitors to try.
- Camp at the Palmer-Moose Creek State Recreation Site: This park offers camping, fishing, and hiking opportunities, making it a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Visit the Wasilla Historical Society: This society offers tours of local historic sites, including the Palmer Pioneer Ridge and the Knik River.
- Take a scenic drive: Wasilla is surrounded by beautiful landscapes, including the Chugach Range and the Talkeetna Mountains, making it a popular destination for scenic drives.
- Attend a local festival: Wasilla is home to several local festivals, including the Wasilla Summer Solstice Festival, which features live music, food, and entertainment.
- Go fishing: Wasilla is known for its abundant fishing opportunities, with several local rivers and lakes offering a wide range of fish species.
- Visit the local farmers market: The Wasilla Farmers Market is a popular destination for locals and visitors, offering a wide range of local produce, crafts, and handmade goods.
- Take a scenic flight: Wasilla is home to several local air tour companies, offering scenic flights over the surrounding landscape.
- Visit the Palmer Research and Extension Center: This research facility is one of the largest agricultural research centers in Alaska, offering tours and educational programs for visitors.
With so many activities and attractions to choose from, Wasilla is a must-visit destination for anyone looking for a unique and exciting travel experience. Whether you’re an outdoor enthusiast, a foodie, or an art lover, there’s something in Wasilla for everyone.